Monday, July 19, 2010

Camping

We camped in the White mtns. this past week. I am not sure if the best part was beating the heat by being in the mountains or the fact that Jared did alot of the cooking. I think these were the best pancakes he has ever made. Sammy was always prepared to lick something clean or catch a crumb or two. Just doin' his job.
Victoria and I built a fairy house.

Kirk and the boys constructed a swing. They practiced all of those handy knots that boyscouts know. Daphne brought her pocket knife and carved a knife out of wood. Kaleb carved a little duck head with a pointy end and Jared...well, he wasn't sure what to carve. His turned out to be a "dog whacker". Not sure what it's used for. Probably to whack the dogs with. I should taken a picture of all that they carved but I didn't. Daddy is giving Victoria extensive instructions on carving. She carved a pointy stick about the size of a pencil. We watched this osprey catch a fish and fly over head. Last year the boys fished for quite a few hours only to be shown-up by this osprey who swooped down between them and scooped a fish right out of the very river that they were fishing. Kaleb caught whatever he could get his hands on. He caught tadpoles, tiny fish, a dragon fly nymph. We decided not to catch the little water snake. Victoria's hair got a little curly from the moisture in the air. It only rained twice. Not bad considering that the forecast had predicted rain all week and into the weekend. Swamp thing. Oh wait, that's Kaleb. These two are quite the characters. They love everything about camping. Mostly being off the leash in meadows to run in and swimming in the river. Sam was so funny to watch in the water. He doesn't particularly care for pools but he sure did enjoy the river. At first he was going to cross by jumping from rock to rock. Which wasn't going to happen. The more he ran through the water the more excited he got. He even grabbed Henry's leash and tried to pull him in as well. This is the life, holding my baby and reading a book sitting in the water. A sure way to stay cool. Too much swimming I think. We made our first Up-side down cake in the dutch oven. It turned out perfect. I couldn't believe it. The girls mixed it up and the boys baked it. And I turned it over. We have never baked a dessert before. My cousin Kathy knows how to do all of those things. We were all very impressed. It was kind of wierd eating fresh cake while camping.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Pam, I love the pictures. Nothing better then having your family together outdoors and enjoying nature. We are going camping the wkend of Aug 6th. I have to get planning. Love you guys.

Katherine said...

I meant to say, I was impressed that you let Kaleb be a mud monster! The dogs are a riot, I still can't believe you own two dogs, too much work for me, but I bet the kids love them.