Saturday, March 9, 2019

Snowshoeing Limber Pine

Kaleb, Jared and Kirk took the scouts up to Limber Pine in the Canyon for their annual snow camping trip. When they got back and were telling me the awesome time they had, I told Kaleb I wanted him to show me where they camped. So we planned for Friday afternoon when he got out of School, Kirk and I would be ready! The plan was to snow shoe in to the campsite making a total of  only 2 1/4 miles, which is actually a long way on snow shoes! It took us two hours and got back to the van just as it was getting dark.
 The snow was over 4 feet deep in places. If we weren't wearing snow shoes we would have sunk up to our thighs! The restroom roof looks like a mushroom.
 Kaleb led the way which made it much easier for the rest of us. We basically marched the entire way because you have to lift your leg up over the hole you just made with the snow shoe. The wind was blowing and made the trees creek. It was eerily awesome!
 This is the top edge of the cornice where they dug into it to make their snow shelters. The wind was blowing here and covering up the trail almost instantly. It was beautiful.
 Kaleb was digging out the entrance to his snow cave. It was snowing heavily at this point. I love being out in a snow storm.
I crawled into Kaleb's snow shelter. I always thought that I would be too claustrophobic but it was actually quite nice. It was very quiet and believe it or not, but it was warm in there. I guess with your face being in the entrance, then you would feel closed in. It was roomy. The ceiling was all iced over. Kirk crawled into Jared's Cave that he dug out. His was extra long. Kirk said that we both could have fit in there it was that wide.
 It was just so pretty.
I really needed to get outside after a crazy week. So it made a perfect, strenuous outing. 
 There was only a slight indication of where the actual trail was. Kaleb kept checking his GPS on his watch to see if we were even close. He knew that if we kept traveling north that we would run into the road. He got us back on the trail twice after losing it a couple times. I fell a few times, one of the times, my entire arm sunk in to my shoulder. 
We caught a glimpse of Bear Lake. 
It looks so pretty in the winter. 
So peaceful....so quiet.....

No comments: