Saturday, February 27, 2016

Moonlight Snowshoe Hike

Kirk, Jared, Kaleb and I met up with the Cache Hikers for the first time to Snowshoe hike in Franklin Basin in the moonlight! It was awesome!
 There were about 16 of us on snowshoes and 3 on cross country skis.
We started out about 7pm and followed the river north without any flashlights. We didn't need them. The moon was so bright it was like walking in day light.
We stopped at about 8:15 to have a fire that a couple of the others had brought up wood and buried it in bags the day before. We passed around moon cookies and chocolate covered pretzels around the fire. Round trip was about 4 miles. I had never gone that far on snowshoes before. It was wonderful. One of the times I had stepped off the trail for a minute to rest and my pole collapsed. My foot sunk up to my knee in a hole and I couldn't get up. I started to laugh but knew that I wouldn't have any strength if I did that. So I had to get my foot out and then stand up. We made it back into Logan around 10:30. 
 This is actually Kirk and I walking on the far left. At one point we were alone which is highly unusual for us. It was wonderful! I can't wait to do this again.

No comments: