Friday, July 1, 2016

Our Garden

I love spending time tending to our garden. I noticed that Kirk really does too. He seems to be in charge of making sure it gets watered. And now that he has the irrigation water piped in from the canal makes it tons easier...and cheaper.
 I was stringing up our tomatoes while 5-7 swallowtails fluttered in and out to drink from the mud. I hadn't seen them at first and then was just amazed when I spotted them right behind me.
They stayed there for almost an hour. 
 Our corn looks beautiful at knee high. Look at the upper portion of the photo and you will see a butterfly flying toward you. I can lose myself when I am in the middle of a butterfly swarm. 
I love it.
 We are already harvesting broccoli, but haven't seen the actual cauliflower or the brussel sprout yet. The squashes are coming along. We planted zucchini (of course), summer squash, pumpkin, pie pumpkin, butternut squash, and jack be littles. We have tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, peas, green beans, pickling cucumbers and oriental cucumbers. Lots of lettuce staggered so we will have it all summer. The spinach and kale is struggling because someone who has now been forbidden to touch a hoe dug it up twice. Third times a charm. Oh, and we have onion, garlic, cabbage, carrots, watermelon, dill, cilantro and oregano.

No comments: