Monday, August 17, 2009

Camping on the Rim

We went camping this past weekend on the Mogollon Rim where it is much cooler! A fine way to beat the heat. In fact, the weather report showed rain all weekend. We were prepared but only had rain the first hour we were there. Of course when we were trying to crank up the tent trailer. After that we had beautiful weather.
Here Henry is refusing to move out of the drivers seat. Every time Kirk got out Henry moved into his seat and then refused to move. I think Kirk is trying to reason with him without progress. Kaleb was determined to catch a fish this weekend trolling in the canoe and only caught a crawdad. Darn. Doin' a crawdad dance! Daphne and I had this great little spot where we hung out and read books while the boys and Victoria went out in the canoe fishing for a few hours. This was a nice flat rock that we managed to commandeer twice. It was so pleasant nestled in the bushes overlooking the Woods Canyon Lake. Where there is water and mud/sand...you will find Victoria. There were some little kids who came up to the waters edge and wanted to play in the mud. Their mother quickly said no playing in the water...you'll get dirty.... Victoria came up to me later and questioned why that mother wouldn't let her "kid have any fun". If only Victoria knew me about 15 years ago. I may have not let her play in the water either. I guess that's the proof that I have let go of some things as she walks up to me with mud streaked across her forehead and all over her arms and legs. We made a special trip to the showers that night. Kirk is the greatest Dad. He just lets the kids do whatever they think they can do. Victoria was insistent on steering the canoe. So Kirk got in the front and let her go wherever she wanted to go. Notice the back of the canoe is up in the air. A little problem with weight distribution. The current did most of the maneuvering but she had a great time and felt like she was really doing it. We hiked near Willow Springs Lake and found all of these little baby horny toads. They were the cutest things. Some were reddish and others were grey. They looked like little frogs running. Jared looked very inquisitive when he saw this water canon at the dam. You could just see the gears working in his head as he scoped out where the water jet would land when it hit. We hiked the trail around Woods canyon Lake. One map said 5 miles and another said 3.5 miles. So it was somewhere in between. There was fern all over on the East side of the lake. It was beautiful. If there is anything that Jared is really good at is the canoe. He has become certified in boyscouts in canoeing and kayaking. He just really likes getting out there exploring and never tires of it. Daphne and I decided that we think we need to acquire another one so we can all go out at the same time. Though it is a perk to get alone time for a few hours with everyone gone...Hmmnm, I may rethink that idea. We have a rule with Victoria...walk for half an hour and get a ride for half an hour. She is so accustomed to riding on shoulders that she actually makes it pretty easy. Daddy and I would trade off to give each other a rest. Here is one of the side branches to the Lake. Kirk and Kaleb took me in here in the canoe. It was neat seeing it from a different perspective...from on land and then in the water. The water was like glass. A couple of times a fish jumped out of the water and scared me half to death. I just wasn't expecting it to. Daphne loves taking pictures of clouds. She likes painting them too. A dreamer at heart.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Beautiful entry Pam. Looks like so much fun and peaceful. The kids brought home a horny toad once. One day it looked like it was pooping (sorry) and the kids were watching and the "poop" began to shake, then dry out and it was a baby running around. The thing ended up having 11 babies, it was freaky to watch, they looked like little buffalo. Nothing like getting outdoors and into nature, I love it.

Katherine said...

I remember catching crawdad when I went camping with the camping groups. We would eat the big ones. Aw, I want a dog so bad but Troy keeps trying to talk me out of it. (I had to look back at your entry to remind myself of the comments I wanted to make) :)