Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hiking the Christianson Trail

The boys and I set out for an afternoon of hiking the Christianson Trail. It is amazeing to hike right through parts of Phoenix and be so far in the hills to not realize that you are even in the city. We have already done a couple miles at the south side and decided to see where the north end was like. It was green everywhere with wild flowers here and there. Almost all of the cacti had blossomed. When we started we weren't sure just how far we would make it. We made it 3 miles to the visitor center at North Mountain and called Kirk to come pick up the dogs and Kaleb. Kaleb had a sore wearing on his ankle bone and the dogs were starting to look a little worn out. It was either that or I was going to kill them. The dogs...not Kaleb.
Jared and I wanted to keep going to see how far we could get. We hiked on up Shaw Butte and came back around to discover that it would have been so much easier if we had gone in the opposite direction. It would have been straight up and then a long way down instead of a very long way UP and straight down. Oh well. Not going to do that one again. I have absolutely no desire to hike up that mountain again. Jared weathered far better than his dear ol' mom.
Needless to say we discovered that there are horse tunnels under Cave Creek Rd and 7th st. I needed so bad to just get away from it all outside and walk it out. Jared and I have pretty much the same pace so it is really easy to hike together. He was like the Eveready Bunny. He just kept going. I learned pretty quick that if he stopped to catch his breath, which was hardly ever, that I would stop no matter how far behind I was. Everytime he stopped and if I caught up to him he would start hiking as soon as I got to him. Hmmm. I had to rethink my strategy. Quite a few times we would be going along in our own silence not talking to eachother. I think I iritate him when I start asking him questions. He likes it when I am quiet. He is such a guy.
Well, we topped our hike at 10.24 miles! It took us 4 and a half hours during the most beautiful part of the day in the desert. Late afternoon. Kirk thought for sure that he was going to have to come pick us up somewhere. At about 8 miles I thought he was but Jared was doing great and I didn't want to spoil it for him. I told him that he may have to practice his one-man rescue technique and drive me home. He liked the idea of driving but not rescueing me. I think his priorities are a little backwards. Anyway, it was pretty exciting. It was exciting for me because I didn't have to carry an infant, toddler or preschooler of any sort. I told Jared I will hike anywhere with him. He is a great companion and it was nice catching up on some one on one time with my oldest son. I love him and I think he knows it. He better. I nearly killed my ankles for him. Walking was a little tender the next morning. Now if I can only get him to do the "victory dance" at the ten mile mark...

No comments: