Wednesday, December 17, 2008

All in a Days Work

Working as a nurse, you meet people from all walks of life. You find out what the world is really made up of. Don't get me wrong though. There are some really nice people out there. Long ago when I was a mere 22 working as a nurse for the first time my patients and their family would always ask me how old I was because they honestly didn't believe I was old enough to be their nurse. I constantly had to reassure them that yes, I was! So now that I am a member of the over 40 crowd, I don't have to reassure my patients families (since most of my patients are sweet little babies) that I am old enough. I am old. I look old. I have laugh lines! for pete's sake. I have 4 kids. If that doesn't qualify me of having experience, I don't know what does. SO...yesterday I floated to the maternity ward and was taking care of this sweet young girl of 22 who was 19 weeks pregnant with a kidney infection. She had a ton of visitors. One couple who visited, was this young Croatian and his cute little girlfriend sitting at the bottom of the bed visiting. I came in, hung my IV bag and left the room only to remember that I left some extra tubing on the pole that I wanted to throw away. I turned and reopened the door just in time to hear this young man ask my patient if she had any "young nurses"? I love to have fun, so I flung my mouth open at his response and said "I heard what you said". He immediately said he didn't mean it that way. Yeah...Right! Poor guy. His face was red and boy was he back peddling. Thanks alot! I guess I won't ever have to show my ID of experience anymore. Have you noticed that when you are young you just want to be older? But when you get older you wish you could stay young? As for being over 40...I think I like it. I like the idea of growing old gracefully. I may look older on the outside but I feel pretty young on the inside. I guess that is all that counts.

3 comments:

Stephenson said...

I thought you were only 21! :)

Pam said...

oops...I guess I let the cat out of the bag!

Carol said...

Hey, you are beautiful and you are not OLD.