Friday, January 22, 2010

Nanny


It was Nanny's birthday January 4th. She turned 82 years old. She is the sweetest lady. Many of you have heard me talk about her over the years. After living in the same house for 15 years you kind of get to know your neighbors a little. Especially this one. I can see her front door from my front door. We watch out for her and do things that she can't do which is ver little in her old age. She and I are alot alike. She is the Grandmother I never had. We all love her. She cracks me up sometimes with her ways...she lived through WWII in England. She was a real english nanny, married her polish husband who flew for Britain, lived in Australia on a sheep farm then moved to the US with her two little children at the time. Then after her husband died, married her hawaiian husband and rebuilt the first christian church out of rubble on the island of Kuai all on her day care money. She is unbelieveable. She still dries her clothes without a dryer...which is pretty easy in Arizona. She won't convert over to anything really electronic. When our lights go out in a storm I know to go over the next morning to reset the clock on her oven so she can use her stove. I do alot of her phone calls that say "push 1 for this or push 2 for that". Our modern technology is baffling to her. It is sweet. She thinks that my kids are the smartest in the world because they know how to use the copy machine let alone the computer. She lived in a total different time period. A very interesting one. I think I know more about her than I do my own grandparents. I love her. She and I have a spiritual connection that God uses all the time. She will pop into my head like the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me something. I will call her and sure enough she needed something and was about to call me. It happens all the time. She is a sweet lady.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

This is awesome! I love the elderly people. They have so much to share and teach. This is how I feel about my friend Sally, but I haven't known her as long. I couldn't find her the other day to drive her to the Dr. appt so after a little searching I found her at the hospital. It isn't hard to find someone in this little town. She is ok, just had diarrhea for several days. Nanny sounds very interesting.
PS I love the cake Pam.

Carol said...

She is beautiful, you are beautiful and that story is beautiful.